Monday, June 29, 2009

Thursday March 19- Tapping: Oppression

From Christina Bernardo --




Hey guys,
Tapping is this Thursday at 8:00pm, 7:30 for rides. and as always we will be at Yeats.

Oppression

"The experience of oppressed people is that the living of one's life is confined and shaped by forces and barriers which are not accidental or occasional and hence avoidable, but are systematically related to each other in such a way as to catch one between and among them and restriction or penalize motion in an direction." Marilyn Frye

What is oppression and when is it simply human suffering rather than systematic submissiveness? I figure that would be a good place to start and maybe after (if ever) we define what true oppression is we can define who are the oppressors vs the oppressed. For instance, am I an oppressor of African Americans because I'm white? Obviously I'm not directly oppressing African-Americans (I hope you know me better than that) but I do benefit from white privilege. Does that make me an oppressor?

Best,
Christina

No comments: